We are often tempted to just use email to send documents. It’s quick and easy. The problem is many documents contain sensitive information identity thieves would love to get their hands on. The “email as a secure file” sharing method is a contradiction in terms. Consider the following:
- Email is never really secure; even over HTTPS connections. For instance, if you are using a third-party email service, you can’t be certain that your data is encrypted while it resides on the server like you can with a file sharing service. Some email providers do not even encrypt emails during transmission, which makes them even less secure.
- Sending an email is like sending a postcard. Every person (or in this case, server) that handles the message can see its contents. Yes, this even includes PDF attachments.
- You might have gone to extra lengths to make your email system secure, but what about the people in direct communication with you? Or the others they are emailing? Once your information leaves your outbox, all bets are off.
Fortunately, there are better ways of handling sensitive file transfers. Here are a few alternatives:
1. Deliver them in person. Yes, it may be inconvenient (and it may not be possible for you), but bringing paper documents into an office to be scanned and stored in-house is a very safe option.
2. Upload your files to a secure portal. Here are some options that MMKR offers.
Client Portal –
After completing the Portal Agreement, we will set up a portal for you to send and receive documents with MMKR securely. Documents can be saved here for up to three years.
No agreement needed on this one. Click “File Share Login” from www.mmkr.com and set up an account under “New User Registration”. Upload files here securely, and a notification is sent to the email address of your contact at MMKR.
Encrypted links via email –
Request a secure email link from your contact at MMKR. They can send you an email with a link to a secure upload location.
We all need to be aware of the risks and do what we can to keep our information secure. Secure file transferring is a big part of the solution. If you have more questions about our secure portal options, please contact us at (952) 545-0424.