Audit and Accounting Manager, Government
The Audit and Accounting Manager provides audit and consulting services to clients in the government sector, including school districts and cities. This individual plays a lead role on the audit team, applying technical proficiency and expertise to supervise team members, complete client engagements and support the Government team with expertise and problem-solving abilities. Aspiring to a career in public accounting, this position confidently draws on his or her experience in audit and accounting to make recommendations to clients and Partners and to mentor team members in best practices.
- Oversee the audit team’s efforts for individual clients, including the performance of state and local government financial statements and compliance audits.
- Maintain exceptional client relations while planning, advising and completing client engagements. Manage audit workflow, ensure technical accuracy and meet deadlines and budget parameters.
- Be a resource for audit team members; provide technical training and feedback on client engagements; evaluate accuracy, technical proficiency and effectiveness of client internal controls.
- Uphold client confidentiality standards and demonstrate the firm's risk management policies and procedures; identify and refer conflict issues.
- Assist with resource planning and scheduling; monitor the impact of client technical requirements on schedules and budgets; participate in process improvement.
- Summarize and communicate audit results to Partners and clients.
- Support the firm through civic, community and professional development activities.
- Develop new client contacts and relationships.
Competencies and attributes
The Auditing and Accounting Manager is:
- Expert on governmental accounting and auditing matters, motivated by
continuous learning, mentoring others and advising clients on regulations
and best practices.
- Communicative, with the ability to confidently present ideas and engage with
others to brainstorm and gain input and perspective.
- A high performer who thrives in a fast-paced environment; detail oriented
with the ability to maintain exceptional quality and client service.
- A team player, who manages the demands of the industry and role with a
sense of calm, focus and confidence; a willing mentor and advisor to
colleagues and clients.
- Two or more years of audit experience at a public accounting firm.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting and CPA designation.
- Working knowledge of governmental GAAP, GASB pronouncements, and
GAAS (yellow book)
- Experience with single audits of federal awards is preferred.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office including spreadsheets, word processing and
presentation software applications.
- Analytical skills with high detail orientation.
- Exceptional interpersonal communication skills; ability to develop
collaborative relationships with teammates and clients; confident in
- Availability to travel to client locations in the Twin Cities seven county
metropolitan area and flexibility to work remotely or from home.